We are delighted and proud to announce our working partnership with Motability. Supplying new mobility scooters and powered wheelchairs through the Motability Scheme, nationwide.
Since the Motability Scheme was set up in 1977, it has provided over four and half million vehicles and has helped millions of disabled people to enjoy their freedom and independence. We look forward to joining forces and helping people find that life-changing mobility scooter or powered wheelchair.
What is Motability?
Motability is a national registered charity, with the objective to help disabled people with their personal mobility. The Motability Scheme enables disabled people, in receipt of certain disability benefits, to access a new car, mobility scooter or powered wheelchair.
In exchange for part of your mobility benefit you can lease a new mobility scooter or powered wheelchair for 3 years, delivered to your door, including a “worry-free” mobility package. The weekly amount of your chosen mobility scooter or powered wheelchair is deducted from your mobility benefit, and then any remaining amount is paid directly to you.
With over 400 different approved models available on the Motability Scheme, we are here to help you find the right choice for you and your lifestyle.
Who is eligible to use the Motability Scheme?
To be eligible to use the Motability Scheme you will need to be in receipt of one of the following allowances:
- Higher Rate of Mobility Component of the Disability Living Allowance (DLA)
- War Pensioners’ Mobility Supplement (WPMS)
- Enhanced Rate of the Mobility Component of Personal Independence Payment (PIP)
- Armed Forces Independence Payment (AFIP)
If you are unsure about your allowance then you can contact:
- DLA enquiries – 03457 123 456 or https://www.gov.uk/government/organisations/department-for-work-pensions
- PIP enquiries – 0345 850 3322 or https://www.gov.uk/government/organisations/department-for-work-pensions
- WPMS enquiries – 0808 1914 218 or https://www.gov.uk/government/organisations/veterans-uk
What is included on the Motability Scheme?
For your weekly payment, not only will you get a brand-new mobility scooter or powered wheelchair on a 3-year lease, but your weekly payment also includes a “worry-free” package as listed below:
- A choice of new scooter or powered wheelchair every 3 years
- Home delivery & collection
- Fully comprehensive insurance cover
- Replacement tyres & batteries
- 24/7 breakdown assistance & cover
- Service, maintenance & repairs
- Friendly & dedicated UK customer service team
To find out more why not download this helpful guide from Motability for more information.
How do you choose a suitable model?
There are lots of factors to consider when deciding on which model of mobility scooter or powered wheelchair might be best for you. Some of the things to consider are:
- How mobile are you? – Mobility is your ability to move. Are you able to walk, sit down, stand up etc. If your mobility is better than a mobility scooter might be a more suitable option, however if your mobility is not a good then a powered wheelchair that you can sit in for extended periods of time might suit you better.
- What is your typical journey? – Are you wanting something to assist you mainly indoors or are you wanting to travel further afield? Another factor to consider, is what sort of terrain you are likely to travel over. Some smaller models of mobility scooter and powered wheelchair are better suited to flat, level surfaces where as other larger models cope better with hills and steeper gradients.
- Do you need to travel on the roads with your mobility vehicle? – If you need to travel on the road for any distance you will need to look at a class 3, 6/8mph mobility vehicle. If you are just wanting something for pavement use then you may only need a class 2, 4mph mobility vehicle.
- Do you need to transport your mobility vehicle? – If you are looking for something to take out with you when travelling in the car, you may need to look at models of mobility scooters or powerchairs that fold or dismantle to make transporting them easier.
- Where are you going to store and charge your vehicle? – Mobility scooters and powered wheelchairs are battery powered and so need recharging. You will need to think about where you are going to do this safely and conveniently.
These are just a few on the factors to think about when making your final decision on which mobility vehicle would be suitable for you. We are here to assist you in making this decision, and why we come out to carry out a full home assessment with you, bringing a selection of models for you to try.
How do I get a vehicle on the Motability Scheme?
Like what you’ve read so far and want to know how you go about getting a mobility scooter or powered wheelchair from us on the Motability Scheme? Just give us a call on 0800 111 6234 or complete our “Contact Us” form.
With such a huge choice of mobility scooters and powered wheelchairs available on the Motability Scheme it is important that you choose the right model for your needs and lifestyle.
Our fully trained Motability specialists are here to guide you through each stage of the process to getting you mobile. We will come out to your home and carry out a full assessment of your needs and environment, and then help to recommend a suitable model for you.